BURLESON (CBSDDW.COM) – Parents in Burleson received a startling wake-up call this morning from their school district: be on the look out for a possible child predator.
“We all got a phone call about 6 a.m.,” said Patricia Steward, a mother with three school age children. “And it stated that, it was from BISD, that the Burleson Police department made them aware of a possible near abduction.”
It happened in the neighborhood across the street from Bransom Elementary School. A mom in her car was following her daughter as she walked home from elementary school. She says a man in a gray or silver two door hatchback pulled up next to the girl. The girl said a bald, white male in his 30’s or 40’s asked her if she lost a puppy. The girl replied no. By that time the mom was walking toward them. The man drove away when he saw her.
There are posters in the area for a lost dog. Police aren’t sure if the man had a question about the actual dog or if he was using it as a ruse to lure the girl into his car. Police bolstered patrol around the school and in the neighborhoods nearby.
“This is a horrendous type of crime and we don’t take it lightly,” said Officer Jae Berg of the Burleson Police Department. “These are innocent people. They’re children. They’re defenseless. And we take a lot of pride in going after any individual who might prey on people like this.”
Parents say they’re alarmed by the report and they’re talking to their children about safety.
“Very wary and very much alert,” Steward said. “I immediately replayed the message on my speaker phone so my daughters could hear it and be aware of it.”
Police remind parents to talk to their children about stranger dangers and about not walking home alone from school.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Vigil Held For 8 Mass Shooting Victims In Plano
- Local Puerto Ricans Worried As Maria Bears Down On Island
- 18-Year-Old Accused Of Repeatedly Raping 67-Year-Old Woman
- Newlywed Evacuees Waiting On FEMA Aide: ‘We Lost It All, Please Help’
- Frisco Heritage Students Take Homecoming Pictures Inside IKEA
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures