DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – Will Forbes, 13, is currently an 8th grader at Dallas’ St. Mark’s School of Texas. In his free time, he’s filing sports reports. But his reports aren’t for the school’s paper… The teenager is already writing for Sports Illustrated as part of an internship coveted by many college journalism students.
“The first time I applied was in 2010, I think. I had seen an ad in sports illustrated for kids and decided to submit and article about my cousin who plays in the NFL,” said Forbes.
He was a finalist that year but didn’t make the cut. Thus, he said he went back and started writing for his independent blog. He was only ten-years-old at the time. Forbes is dogged in his approach to his craft, which will serve him well in the industry. Not one to give up, Forbes reapplied this year.
“I wrote an updated version of the article, sent it in and it worked out pretty well,” he said. His credential with the magazine led to interviews with Hall of Fame coaches such as Rick Carlisle, PGA Golfer Jordan Speith and Dodgers’ pitcher Clayton Kershaw. What’s more impressive than his age, is the fact Forbes sets all the interviews up himself.
When he profiled Rick Carlisle this month, the coach spent more than 10 minutes with him. That’s more than most local reporters are allowed.
The subject of Forbes’ piece? Carlisle’s leadership style.
“He did very good, very thorough. I was impressed,” said Carlisle. “You know this is a great experience for him to come into this environment, kind of see how things work. I was 13 once with dreams and aspirations so things like this are really important.”
Forbes’ dream is to work as a sports beat writer wherever that leads him. He says meeting the athletes and coaches is great, but seeing his name in print next to his picture — now that’s cool.
Spoken like a true journalist.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Lopez Goes 8 Innings As White Sox Blank Rangers 3-0
- Man Rams Vehicle Into North Carolina Restaurant, Killing Daughter, 1 Other
- Funeral Held For Exchange Student Killed In Texas School Shooting
- Houston Police Chief: Politicians ‘Not Doing Anything Other Than Offering Prayers’ After Shootings
- Texas School Shooting Victims Honored At Sunday Church Service
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures