Website Helps Texas Law Enforcement Catch Criminals
CENTRAL TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Catching criminals just got a little easier thanks to a new website launched by a law enforcement officer in Central Texas.
BoloAlerts.com was created by Austin Police Department Detective Kevin Covington. It’s designed for Texas law enforcement agencies to upload pictures of suspects to “Be On the Look Out” for.
Officers said this new resource can help them track down crooks all over Texas. It’s the only site that links law enforcement across the state.
“Anytime you have a place to put suspects pictures out to get identified the chance of those cases being solved multiply by 100,” Covington said.
It’s only been online month, but the site has already helped solve about half a dozen crimes. Partly in because people can easily submit tips, too.
Many of the crimes are financial crimes. Covington says one in 70 credit cards used at stores are stolen, and the criminals travel store to store.
“With BOLO Alerts, the more departments that can come on and post pictures, the more the officers can come look at it in another state or another town and go ‘Hey that’s the same suspect we are chasing here,'” Covington explained.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Horror Master Wes Craven Dies At 76
- Fort Worth FD Freed Person Trapped In Wrecked Car
- Service Pays Tribute To Murdered TV Reporter, Photographer
- Tarrant County Sheriff Laments How Times Have Changed For Law Enforcement
- Police Investigate Motive In Ambush Of Houston Area Deputy
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures