GARLAND (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Garland are investigating the death of a clerk at a 7-Eleven convenience store. The scene is located at the corner of Pleasant Valley Road and Firewheel Parkway, in the northeast part of the city.
Garland Police Department spokesman Joe Harn said that the clerk’s body was found at around 3:45 a.m. early Tuesday morning by a delivery man. Officials do not know how long the 31-year-old man had been dead before his body was discovered.
The Dallas County Medical Examiner has been notified about the incident.
It is believed that the store clerk was shot and killed during a robbery. Several crime scene detectives arrived at the scene and cordoned off the store with police tape. Authorities reviewed the store’s surveillance camera video, which shows the suspect walking into the store wearing a mask and carrying a gun. The suspect walks out of frame for less than five seconds and then exits the store holding the gun and a bag. The entire crime takes less than 10 seconds.
WATCH: SURVEILLANCE VIDEO
Harn said that there were no witnesses to the crime, and that the suspect’s mask made it difficult for police to tell if the killer was a man or a woman.
7-Eleven spokeswoman Margaret Chabris released a statement later Tuesday morning. “We are shocked and deeply saddened over the random shooting of a 7-Eleven store employee,” she said, adding that the Dallas company is aiding police in the investigation. Chabris has identified the clerk as Yosef H. Tulu of Dallas, who celebrated his 31st birthday this month. Tulu had worked for 7-Eleven since 2012 and was saving money to get married this spring, according to Chabris.
The convenience store had been closed throughout Tuesday morning, but is expected to open up again in the afternoon.
- Family Overcomes Grief, Shares Inspiring Adoption Story
- Sanitary Sewers Overflowing In Plano
- Michigan Outlasts Texas 78-72 In Bahamas
- Arlington PD Running “No Refusal” Plan Thanksgiving Weekend
- Blair Wins 700th Game As No. 10 Texas A&M Women Beat Cal
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures