DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas City Council today named A.C. Gonzalez as the city’s 15th City Manager. Gonzalez served as interim city manager since June 2013. His extensive management background includes 32 years of experience in public administration and executive leadership.
“I look forward to working closely with the Mayor and Council as well as city staff as we continue to make Dallas a great place to live, work and play,” said Gonzalez in a release. “I’m up to the challenge and ready to start implementing changes that will take our city to the next level.”
As Dallas First Assistant City Manager, Gonzalez led the effort to build the Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel, managed the Love Field Modernization Program and won a federal grant bringing street cars back to Dallas.
Gonzalez was Deputy Superintendent and Superintendent of the Austin Independent School District from 1995 to1999. In Austin, he developed the district’s first historically underutilized business program; and led development of the district’s first joint building project with the city of Austin combining an elementary school with police, social services, library and park and recreation facilities.
From 1988 to 1995, he was Assistant City Manager of the city of Dallas and led negotiations of the Dallas Stars Reunion Arena lease; developed and implemented programs such as Operation CLEAN, Volunteers in Patrol, SAFE (Support, Abatement, Forfeiture, Enforcement), and Expanded Neighborhood Patrol.
Gonzalez has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin and a master’s degree from Trinity University in San Antonio.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- NASA-Approved Solar Eclipse Glasses Harder To Find
- Celtics To Retire Paul Pierce’s No. 34
- Kindergarten Kids All Smiles About New Academic Journey
- Patient’s Breast Augmentation Surgery Streamed Live
- Irving Police Identify Body Dumped Near 183, Make Two Arrests
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures