COLLEGE STATION (AP) – Former Texas A&M University President Robert Gates is returning to Aggieland to promote his recently released book about his nearly five-year tenure as the nation’s defense secretary.
Gates was likely to encounter a friendly audience Tuesday during a presentation and book-signing on the A&M campus in College Station.
His tell-all book raises questions about President Barack Obama’s war leadership and harshly criticizes Vice President Joe Biden.
Gates was CIA director under President George H.W. Bush. He was Texas A&M president from August 2002 until December 2006 when then-President George W. Bush named him to oversee the Pentagon.
Gates was the lone Bush cabinet holdover when Obama won the White House. Gates left the Defense Department and what he’s called “the mess in Washington” in July 2011.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Consumer Justice Cooler Challenge: Who Beat The Heat?
- Warning: Chicago Felony Lane Gang Members Possibly In Town
- Officer To Skydive In Uniform At Addison Kaboom Town
- North Texas Could See Record For Near-Drownings
- Fireworks Stand First Copeville Business To Reopen After December’s Tornado
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures