5-Alarm Fire Rips Through Lake Highlands Townhomes
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Flames roared across a long stretch of mostly vacant townhomes at the Oak Trails Villas in Lake Highlands Wednesday night, burning for hours.
Victoria Kerr said she was walking her dog, just after six in the evening, when she first saw the fire, called police, and began alerting neighbors across the street.
“Everybody was home. That’s why I was frantic. I was like ‘get out, get out, get out,’” she said.
The strong wind quickly began tossing embers over nearby homes, according to Kerr.
“Once the flames started going, it just shot over,” she said. “We had fire in the front yard, within five minutes. I mean, it was like scary.”
Dallas Fire Rescue spokesperson Jason Evans said the department dispatched trucks to put out grass fires as far as several blocks away.
“A lot of embers were going off in different directions, igniting some of the grass,” he said.
In the midst of battling the flames, firefighters say they rescued a dog; reuniting it with its worried owner.
Any hope of saving the townhomes, though, quickly disappeared.
No one was injured in the blaze.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- More Than 100 Expected To Attend Plano Crime Safety Meeting
- Texas QB David Ash Ends Playing Career
- Arlington Woman Executed For Starvation Death Of 9-Year-Old
- Some Call New Restaurant’s Logo Offensive & Culturally Insensitive
- School Bus Cameras Go Dark In Some North Texas Cities
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures