Report: Astros Plan On Meeting With Nolan Ryan
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM) – After stepping down as CEO of the Rangers in October, Nolan Ryan might not be done with baseball in Texas.
According to a report in the Houston Chronicle, Astros owner Jim Crane plans on visiting with Nolan about joining the organization in some capacity.
“We really don’t have anything done yet,” Crane said. “I think there’s some interest from Nolan if it’s the right opportunity for him and if it’s what he wants to do. He’s very accomplished and he’s done a lot of great things and he’ll certainly be a great addition to the team if we could do it.”
Ryan’s oldest son, Reid Ryan, was hired as president of the Astros in May. He appears open to the idea of bringing on his Hall of Fame father.
“I don’t think it’s any great secret that I would love to have my dad work with the Houston Astros,” Reid Ryan said. “But it’s really up to Jim and him to figure out if there’s a fit there.”
Crane didn’t specify whether Nolan would fill a “baseball role” or “business role”, saying simply that the team would have no problem finding a spot for the former Astro.
Nolan pitched with the Astros from 1980-88, recording 106 wins and 1,866 strikeouts.
He stepped down as Rangers CEO in October after six seasons leading the organization, calling it the “right time” to leave the organization.
“I am extremely proud of what this organization has accomplished,” said Nolan at his farewell press conference. “On the field, we have enjoyed great success at the major league level. The fans have supported us in record numbers the last two years and we have been able to upgrade the ballpark and enhance the in-game experience to reward that loyalty.”
Houston finished the 2013 season with a 51-111 record, its third straight season with 100+ losses.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Two Cyclists Want Justice After Being Beaten By A Driver
- Dallas Airports Prep For Holiday Parking
- Lewisville ISD Educator Arrested For Improper Relationship
- Denton Residents Uneasy After Home Invasion Ends In Murder
- Cowboys Victory Makes Playoff Tickets A Hot Christmas Gift
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures