Exclusive Details On Cowboys Kicker Bailey’s New Contract
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) - The Dallas Cowboys have signed kicker Dan Bailey to what is being billed as a new seven-year deal through 2020, though privately both sides view it as Bailey being paid his “restricted year plus six more years.’’
What’s the difference? Sources tell me that Dallas kept the kicker’s 2014 salary under the second-round-tender price of $2.1 million and then negotiated with the restricted free agent from there for the six “new years.’’ Those negotiations resulted in a seven-year package that can be worth $22.5 million and an average of $3.215 million annually (the going rate for the top 10 at the position).
Other important details of the deal: A $4 million signing bonus and $7.5 million guaranteed.
Bailey, 26, who the Cowboys believe is a Pro Bowl-worthy performer, joined Dallas as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma State following the 2011 NFL Draft.
In his three seasons with Dallas, Bailey has converted 90.8 percent of his field goals and all 123 of his extra points, becoming one of the best and most reliable kickers. Bailey already ranks as the franchise leader in percentage and game-winning field goals (eight) and is second in made field goals (89).
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arlington Hopes, College Champion Game Means National Attention
- Option Of Paper or Plastic May Be No More In Dallas
- Senator Ted Cruz Leans Toward 2016 Presidential Run
- Mexican Cartels Ramp Up Human Smuggling Business
- North Texans March In Labor Day Parade For Higher Wages
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures