“Big D Climb” Has Participants Racing 52 Flights Of Stairs
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – North Texas’ biggest stair climb gets underway Saturday morning with Dallas’ police chief taking part.
Those participating in “The Big D Climb” will ‘race’ up 52 flights of stairs… that’s exactly 1,040 steps. They’ll be racing to raise money for benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
LLS special events coordinator Libby Kaczmarek said the support the North Texas organization has received from first responders has been incredible.
“We started with the First Responder Division a couple years ago, and the firefighters jumped right on board. So, we’ve always had a really, really good showing from the fire department,” she said.
Dallas police Chief David Brown is one of more than a dozen Dallas Police Department officers who will be racing at Fountain Place.
Kaczmarek explained that, “The police department didn’t jump on [board] quite as quickly [as others], but this year they’ve really embraced it. Chief Brown said ‘let’s do it’ and from there on it’s been a home run.”
Chief Brown joins a list of first responders units that include teams of firefighters from Dallas, Prosper, Highland Park, Maybank, and Pilot Point.
Some 1,000 people are expected to take part in the climb. And Kaczmarek explained that the participants aren’t all members of a police force or firehouse. “You have people of all ages and fitness levels participating,” she said.
Open registration for The Big D Climb has closed but anyone wanting to participate can register from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday morning. Fountain Place is located in downtown Dallas, at 1445 Ross Avenue.
LLS is hoping to have more than 1,300 climbers raise more than $225,000 at the event.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas Experts Say Use Care With Holiday Fireworks
- Veteran Dallas Police Officer Arrested For Sexual Assault
- DeMarco Murray To Play, Doug Free Inactive Vs Colts
- Ellis Leads Mavs Over Spurs In Rondo’s Debut
- Allen Wins 3rd Straight State Title
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures