High Profile Kaufman Murder Trial Moved To Rockwall
Get Breaking News First
KAUFMAN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – A judge granted the defense’s wish on Friday to move a high-profile murder trial out of Kaufman County.
Eric Williams is on trial for the murders of the Kaufman County district attorney Mike McLelland, his wife and assistant district attorney Mark Hasse. The trial will now be held in Rockwall County.
Defense attorneys are worried that the case has received too much publicity in Kaufman County, making it impossible for Williams to receive a fair trial.
Williams faces the death penalty if convicted.
Officials believe the murders served as retaliation against McLelland and Hasse, after Williams was convicted of stealing county computers. The ruling banned Williams from practicing law.
William’s wife, Kimberly Williams, is also accused of driving the getaway car in both shootings, while Eric Williams was the actual gunman.
“Certainly this next few weeks and this entire year is going to be consumed by this trial,” said Kaufman County Commissioners Court Judge Bruce Wood. “But we go on. Our justice system is up and running in Kaufman County. We’re moving on. The healing has begun, continues and each of us heals in different ways.”
The trial is scheduled to begin in October, though the jury selection process will start in March.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Scandrick ‘Excited’ To Return To Cowboys
- Thursday Night Football Breakdown: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vs. Atlanta Falcons
- Scandrick Reinstated Under NFL’s New Drug Policy
- Kohl’s Holiday Hiring To Rise By A Third
- Death Of Texas Tech Freshman Blamed On Alcohol
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures