Report: Texas Jobless Rate Slipped To 6 Percent In December
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) – The Texas jobless rate settled at 6 percent in December for the fifth straight month of declines in statewide unemployment, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.
The Texas unemployment rate was 6.1 percent in November. The nationwide jobless rate for December was 6.7 percent.
Employers added 252,400 jobs for all industries during 2013, the commission said.
“We continue to see growth across major industries in Texas, with all of them adding jobs over the year,” said Andres Alcantar, Texas Workforce Commission chairman.
The Midland area had the lowest statewide jobless rate in December at 2.8 percent, while neighboring Odessa had a 3.4 percent jobless rate. The McAllen-Edinburg-Mission area recorded the highest jobless rate at 10.4 percent, the only double-digit unemployment area statewide for December.
Texas added 17,600 seasonally adjusted total nonfarm positions in December, according to the commission.
Trade, transportation and utilities expanded by 8,100 positions in December, more jobs added than any other major industry in the state. The industry also added more jobs over the last year, 68,200, than any other major industry, and had an annual growth rate of 3.1 percent, commission officials said.
Other industries that expanded over the month include education and health services, with 4,400 additional jobs in December.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Crashes Continue As Snow Day Turns To Night
- Snow Day Brings Accidents, Traffic, & Some Fun Across North Texas
- Good Samaritan & His Hummer Saving Stranded Drivers
- Snow, Ice Cause Daytime & Commute Problems In Denton County
- No Snow Day For First Responders As Emergency Calls Flood In
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures