GOP Lt. Governor Candidates To Hold Debate
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) - The four Republican candidates vying to be Texas lieutenant governor — a post considered to be the most powerful in the state — are getting their first televised chance to win over voters.
Dallas public television station KERA is hosting an hour-long debate at 8:00 p.m. on Monday. The debate will also be streamed live here on CBSDFW.COM.
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst is facing one of the toughest re-election bids of his career. His three challengers for the GOP nomination are Houston Sen. Dan Patrick, Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson and Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples.
The lieutenant governor’s power comes from presiding over the Texas Senate, appointing the committee chairs and shaping what legislation makes it to a vote. The governor can veto a bill, but the lieutenant governor can decide if a proposed law makes it to the governor’s desk.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Once-Conjoined Twins Set To Leave Hospital
- Prince Homers As Texas Tops Seattle 5-0
- 1 Year After Blast, West Mayor Sees Progress
- Grapevine Church Draws Large Chalk Jesus
- Dallas Police Search For 2 Runaway Sisters
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures