GOP Lt. Governor Candidates To Hold Debate
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) - The four Republican candidates vying to be Texas lieutenant governor — a post considered to be the most powerful in the state — are getting their first televised chance to win over voters.
Dallas public television station KERA is hosting an hour-long debate at 8:00 p.m. on Monday. The debate will also be streamed live here on CBSDFW.COM.
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst is facing one of the toughest re-election bids of his career. His three challengers for the GOP nomination are Houston Sen. Dan Patrick, Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson and Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples.
The lieutenant governor’s power comes from presiding over the Texas Senate, appointing the committee chairs and shaping what legislation makes it to a vote. The governor can veto a bill, but the lieutenant governor can decide if a proposed law makes it to the governor’s desk.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Airports Prep For Holiday Parking
- Sales For Holiday Shopping Season Come Down To The Wire
- Team Grades: Dallas Blows Out Colts To Win NFC East
- Texas State Parks Draw New Year’s Hikers, Visitors
- Rick Perry To Attend Conservative Summit In Iowa
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures