Teen Sentenced To Probation For Shooting, Killing Friend
MONTAGUE COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – The North Texas teen who was indicted for shooting and killing his friend has plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide.
Michael Underwood accidentally shot his friend Nathan Maki, 18, while on a hunting trip last Labor Day weekend.
Underwood was facing up to 20 years in prison. Instead, he was given a two year suspended sentence and five years probation.
In an exclusive interview with CBS 11’s Brian New, Maki’s motehr says she thinks Underwood should have been sentenced to some jail time.
“I think with him getting probation…it’s not…I’m sure he’s going through hell too. I really do. But not the hell we are going through,” said Bonnie Tatera.
Investigators say the two teens were drinking at the time. Underwood can be heard on 911 calls saying that he “accidentally shot his best friend.”
Montague County Sheriff investigators initially classified the shooting as an accident, and only charged Underwood with underage drinking. Later, a grand jury returned an indictment for manslaughter, a second degree felony.
Maki was a standout senior fullback and leader on Denton’s Guyer High School football team. Hours after his family buried him, they stood on the sidelines for a game played in his honor.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Crowley Man Charged With Murdering Father Of Two
- North Texas Man Sentenced To 17+ Years For Fictional Disney Scheme
- Two Suspects Wanted For Shooting During Party In Cleburne
- U.S. Olympic Committee Announces City Of Los Angeles As The Bid To Host 2024 Olympics
- Fort Worth ISD Breaks Ground On New Student Aviation Center
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures