IRVING (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The Dallas Cowboys have demoted defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, giving his title to Rod Marinelli, and hired Scott Linehan as the passing game coordinator who will call plays.
The Cowboys announced a change in Kiffin’s title to assistant head coach/defense Tuesday. Dallas allowed the most yards in franchise history and finished last in the NFL in total defense.
Head coach Jason Garrett said, “Our responsibility is to bring quality people into our organization and find the best fit for them. That applies to players, and it applies to coaches.”
Kiffin and Marinelli, the defensive line coach, came to Dallas together last year after the Cowboys decided to switch to a four-man front with three linebackers following nearly a decade in the 3-4 defense.
Linehan, the former St. Louis coach who was Detroit’s offensive coordinator the past five seasons, takes play-calling duties from Bill Callahan. The Cowboys had their worst offensive output since 2005.
“The opportunity to add someone of Scott Linehan’s expertise and experience will benefit our offensive unit,” said Garrett, “and we believe the combination of him and Bill Callahan working closely together will give us a great chance to build upon the strides we made offensively last year.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- ‘Murder Insurance’ Or Protection In Self-Defense Cases?
- Social Media Helping College Teams Start New Traditions
- Feds Auctioning Luxury Cars From Pill Mill During Texas Race
- Study: Lower-Income Kids Give More Time To TV, Digital Media
- Country Stars Honor Shooting Victims At CMT Artists Show
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures