MALAKOFF (CBS 11 NEWS) – Ernesto Fierro, an off-duty police officer from the Henderson County town of Malakoff may face criminal charges after being investigated for reckless driving in Navarro County.
Bill Livezey of Iowa died in December after calling 911, along with witnesses, claiming Fierro, who was riding his personal motorcycle, was trying to run Livezey off the road.
Livezey eventually pulled over and by the time Sheriff’s Deputies arrived – he was handcuffed.
It’s unclear what led to the incident in the first place.
An autopsy CBS 11 News obtained shows the 70-year-old Livezey had a history of heart disease, but doesn’t mention if stress from the incident played a role in his death.
On Wednesday, we went to Malakoff to ask about Fierro, but Chief Billy Mitchell wouldn’t comment, and referred us to the city attorney.
When I called the city attorney, he wouldn’t tell me whether Fierro was suspended or fired, and wouldn’t explain what the department’s policy is regarding off duty officers and their conduct.
Records obtained by the CBS-11 I-Team show long before Malakoff, Fierro had trouble while an officer with the Dallas Police Department.
Records show he was fired in May 2001 for conduct discrediting the department.
But he was re-instated in October of that year after appealing, and instead, was suspended for 20 days.
After that, he went to work as an investigator with the Dallas County DA’s office, before finally landing in Malakoff.
But when that department asked Dallas County if Fierro was eligible for re-hire, the county didn’t answer, but still rated him as an excellent and good employee.
Peter Schulte is a former police officer who’s now an attorney, and says this isn’t uncommon. “It’s in the best interest of both parties to go and separate employment so they do it by mutual agreement. There’s usually some release associated with that. Now because of that, the information of why the separation occurred is limited.”
Follow Jack on Twitter: @cbs11jack
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Iraq Veteran Killed In Colorado Shooting Leaves Behind Children In Texas
- Dangerous Conditions Delay Search For 76-Year-Old Woman Swept Away By Water
- Timbers Tie FC Dallas 2-2 To Advance
- No. 25 SMU Beats Brown 77-69 To Remain Undefeated
- Higgs Helps No. 8 Texas Defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures