Dallas Looks At Sending Strays To A ‘Dog Farm’
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Stray dogs are the number one complaint Dallas Councilman Dwaine Caraway said he receives.
“It is increasing, growing out of control,” he said about the problem.
This week Caraway and other council members began discussing possible solutions to the stray problem starting with stiffer fines for deadbeat dog owners and more traps.
The city currently has just 22 dog traps for the entire city.
Caraway said he would also like to see the city establish a “dog farm.” It would be a place to hold stray dogs until the city could figure out what to do with them.
“It may sound funny to some when you talk about a dog farm,” said Caraway. “But you got to put them somewhere and remember they are already out here roaming somewhere.”
Barbara Watkins, who lives near Fair Park, said she thinks the city needs to do something soon.
Tuesday in the 3500 block of Jamaica Watkins said she was attacked by three dogs as she walked to the bus stop.
“I’m screaming and he is on my back and the other one is biting me on my leg,” said Watkins about the attack.
The 42-year-old Dallas woman said she’s now nervous to even go out on her front porch.
“I shake,” she explained. “I really do because I’m not protected.”
Caraway said the city should also look at sponsoring educational programs that teach pet owner responsibility in schools.
However, the council member said his first priority is to get the stray dogs off the streets.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- NFL Listen Live Week 12: NY Giants vs Dallas Cowboys
- Ex-State Senator, UT Vice Chancellor Farabee Dies
- 11 Indicted In Dallas-Area Drug Ring, Ties To Jail
- Plano Father Killed In Bizarre Drunk Driving Accident
- Irving Man Arrested For Stepson’s Death
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures