NASCAR Creates Winner-Take-All Championship Format
Sports Fan Insider
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – NASCAR has overhauled its championship format to create an elimination, winner-take-all system designed to reward “the most battle-tested” driver at the end of the season.
The Chase for the Sprint Cup championship will now be a 16-driver field with a premium placed on winning.
NASCAR will cut four drivers from the field after every three races in the 10-race Chase, leaving four eligible drivers headed into the season finale. The first of those four to cross the finish line will be crowned champion.
NASCAR Chairman Brian France said Thursday the new format has no math and no bonus points and is “simple as it gets.”
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Former NYC Mayor Plans Gun Control Network With Eyes On Texas
- Top 5 NBA Playoff Moments
- Poll: Is 13 Years Old Too Young For OBGYN Visits?
- Paul McCartney Plans June Performance In Lubbock
- More Dallas Cowboys Pre-Draft Visits At Valley Ranch
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures