CBS 11 Files Motion In Juvenile Court Over Closure
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) — CBS 11 and five other Dallas-Fort Worth media outlets jointly filed a motion Friday in state District Judge Jean Boyd’s Tarrant County juvenile court asking her to make documents public regarding a murder case she recently closed to the public.
Boyd, who in December received intense national publicity after she gave teenager Ethan Couch 10 years’ probation and therapy for driving drunk and causing a crash that left four people dead, closed her courtroom twice in the past few weeks during an unrelated murder trial involving another teenager.
In that case, a 17-year-old was accused of beating a 16-year-old to death with a hammer. Boyd closed a pre-trial hearing in the case and another after the teen, who was a juvenile at the time of the beating, pleaded guilty.
Because the case has already been settled, the motion asks Boyd to make public copies of the transcripts of all hearings in the case and to set aside or vacate any prior closure order which may have been entered.
The is the second motion that The Dallas Morning News, KDFW/Channel 4, KXAS/Channel 5, WFAA/Channel 8 and the Fort Worth Star Telegram joined with CBS 11 to file this week in Boyd’s court.
On Wednesday, the media outlets filed a plea in intervention asking Boyd to give them a chance to make arguments about why any future hearings in the Couch case should remain open.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- State Fair of Texas Announces Winners of the 2015 Big Tex Choice Awards
- Police Investigate Motive In Ambush Of Houston Area Deputy
- Two Apartment Residents Robbed, One Shot Sunday Morning
- Man Shot During Armed Robbery At Apartment Complex
- Turner Field US Flag At Half-Staff After Fan Dies In Fall
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures