DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki has been selected to represent the Western Conference in his 12th career All Star game, extending his franchise record.
The German-native was selected as a reserve by league coaches on Thursday.
In 45 games this season, Nowitzki is averaging 21.6 points on 48.3 percent shooting, along with 6.2 rebounds and 2.9 assists. He is also second in free throw percentage (90.8 percent) and is knocking down 39.3 percent of three-point attempts.
Nowitzki’s streak of 11 consecutive All Star games ended in 2013, after he missed the first 27 games of the season while recovering from right knee surgery.
“I have been a part of All-Star Weekend every year since I have been in the league and not being there last year felt strange,” Nowitzki said. “The Dallas fan base has always been great to me and the Mavericks’ organization and the city deserves to be represented at the All-Star Game. I appreciate my teammates for putting me in the best position to succeed and again be named to the Western Conference All-Star Team. I am excited to represent the Mavericks in New Orleans and I look forward to returning to my team and making a great run at the Playoffs. ”
On Wednesday, Dirk became just the 13th player in NBA history to surpass 26,000 career points. His current total of 26,022 points is 13th in NBA history, and second among active players.
Also selected as Western Conference reserves: LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland), James Harden (Houston), Dwight Howard (Houston), Damian Lillard (Portland), Tony Parker (San Antonio) and Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers).
Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers), Stephen Curry (Golden State), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City), Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers) and Kevin Love (Minnesota ) were selected as Western Conference starters in fan voting.
14-time All Star Tim Duncan, who is averaging a career-low 29.2 minutes per game, was not selected to the Western Conference team.
The 2014 NBA All-Star Game will be played in New Orleans on Sunday, Feb. 16.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Felons Cook Up Legit Business With ‘Cornbread Hustle’
- DISD Board Passes ‘Welcoming And Protective’ Resolution
- Phase One Of I-35E Facelift To Be Done This Summer
- North Texas Pastor Talks Of Going Viral With Biscuit Bit
- Caitlyn Jenner Calls Trump Transgender Decision ‘A Disaster’
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures