MONTAGUE COUNTY (CBS 11 NEWS) – People in Wise and Montague Counties fell asleep to piles of sleet and snow accumulations over yards, sidewalks and roadways. But overnight it melted in streets and froze again creating sheets of ice over roads.
“The roads out there are horrible, man!” exclaimed Houston truck driver Art McGhee, who stopped in a Bowie diner to get off the dangerous roads.
That’s why schools in the area were closed and the buses left in their frozen lots.
Some sanded streets were passable. But, side street traffic was left to roll at a crawl.
Even some highways, like 287, posed treacherous driving conditions, forcing some truckers to park their ride and delay delivery of their loads.
“It’s horrible, it’s horrible,” McGhee said. “It’s real bad. If you gotta go somewhere, don’t do it unless its life or death. Other than that? Don’t do it.”
A lot of people in Bowie agreed which is why downtown was a frozen ghost town early Monday morning.
The bank here prepared for customers they hoped will come. Bret Bekins, a bank employee, loudly scrapped at the ice on the sidewalk with a shovel breaking a sweat in the 26 degree air.
“We don’t expect too many people today,” Bekins said. “But, we’re just trying to break up some of this ice. It’s supposed to get up to about 40 today so it ought to melt off pretty good.”
But until then, areas in that part of North Texas will remain at a frozen standstill.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Officer Known For Helping Others Needs Support
- Wounded Marine To Climb Mount Kilimanjaro
- Middle-Schoolers Ceremoniously Vote To Remove Confederate General’s Name From School
- Horse Center Founder Explains Why He Shut Down Special Needs Program
- Exclusive Interview: Tony Romo Talks Surgery, Downplays Injury
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures