Former DISD Superintendent Returning To Dallas
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Former Dallas Independent School District superintendent Michael Hinojosa is headed back to North Texas. Hinojosa resigned as superintendent of an Atlanta-area school district Monday evening and announced plans to return home.
Hinajosa left Dallas under a cloud of criticism when he ended his tenure as the top official of DISD nearly three years ago. He holds the title of the longest serving Superintendent in the last 20 years for Dallas ISD. Hinojosa graduated, taught, and coached in DISD schools before becoming the top leader. He resigned in 2011 to accept the Cobb County School District Superintendent job in Georgia.
Recently, Hinojosa has faced a storm of controversy in Georgia, over his recent reaction to winter weather. He held classes in session the day the Atlanta-area was hit by an ice storm, which led to students being trapped on buses and forced to stay at schools.
His announced resignation in Atlanta did not sit well with some parents.
“You don’t abandon ship while your employees risking their lives, while our children were out there,” said one parent.
Hinojosa announced plans to accept an education consultant position for a private firm and adds he did not resign over the recent criticism in Cobb County.
“It allows me to move back to Dallas, to work in education, but it’s time for me to go back and be with my family,” said Hinojosa. He told CBS 11’s Steve Pickett by phone, “My mom will be 91, and mother-in-law is in her mid-80s. It’s time to come home to my family and my hometown.”
Hinojosa and his wife still have an apartment in the Victory Park area of Dallas. She’s remained in North Texas helping her mother with health concerns.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: August 31st-September 4th
- Floyd Mayweather: “What I’ll Miss Most Is All The Jealous Haters”
- It’s A Holiday At The Pump For Labor Day Travelers
- Choppy’s ‘Degenerate’ College Football Picks – Week 1
- 2 Men Rescued After Car Wraps Around Pole
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures