Cyclist Suffers Broken Back, Distracted Driver Gets Slap On The Wrist
FARMERS BRANCH (CBSDFW.COM) – Corky Rawdon, 64, says he is happy he’s alive after he was struck by a distracted driver in an SUV on Saturday.
Rawdon said it all happened on January 11 on the 2600 block of Valley View Lane in Farmers Branch.
He was riding along a route he had traveled countless times before. Just as he was nearing Oran Good Park a white SUV slammed into him.
“It’s like my bike and everything exploded,” said Rawdon.
The avid cyclist suffered a broken back and is now left wearing a body brace as it heals. He tells us the pain is going away but what has him the most upset is that he believes the driver who hit him got off easy.
“I’m recovering better physically from the back injury than I am mentally, because he just got off and drove off,” said Rawdon.
Farmers Branch police say the driver, who declined comment to CBS 11 News was cited for not having insurance. Although, he admitted he was distracted by his cell phone’s GPS, police said there wasn’t an overt act on his part to cause harm or injury.
Texas is also one of the few states left in the country that doesn’t have a law on the books to penalize drivers distracted by their cell phones. Forty-one other states have some kind of ban on the use of cell phones while driving.
Rawdon tell us he has been an avid cyclist for more than 10 years, and as soon as he gets better he plans on getting back on a bike again — just not on the same road.
“I was blessed because I wasn’t paralyzed or killed,” he said.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Brady Says He “Did Nothing Wrong”
- Average U.S. Car Age Hits Record 11.5 Years
- Planned Parenthood Back Before State Senate
- Patriots Fans Defiant After DeflateGate Ruling
- Rangers Blow Early Lead To Yankees 21-5
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures