DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Getting to class was tricky, for some University of North Texas students today, after snowflakes coated Denton County. Slick sidewalks made it difficult for kids to walk across campus and slushy roads proved to be dangerous for drivers.
For the most part the snow has been the fun, fluffy kind. Around Denton the problem hasn’t been traveling on highways but treacherous streets within the city.
Crossing Fry Street near the UNT campus is simple. Walking on the sidewalks, to get to campus, has been anything but.
Student Sarah Fox said, “I fell four times! I’m not used to walking in the snow.”
Many viewed the snow as a welcomed surprise, but the cold is a bit too frigid for some.
“It’s cold! It’s miserable!” Denton resident Kevin Peck said. “It’s not Texas weather.”
Icy roads are making it difficult for drivers. Lots of vehicles, including a CBS 11 News SUV, spent an extended amount of time slipping and sliding around neighborhood streets.
By midday UNT student Sarah Palser had had enough. “Okay this is brutal!” she said.
Fellow student Emily Henson said, “The driving sucks, because it melted but it’s still frozen. It’s just slippery.”
UNT didn’t cancel classes or let students out early, but that didn’t impact some students. “I made it a snow day for myself today,” Sarah Palser explained plainly. “I made the executive decision that I was not going to be going to class.”
Some of the students who did go to class took a few detours to warm up. At Big Mike’s Coffee a little warm goodness goes a long way. Barista Chris Peterson said, “It does indeed warm your soul.”
As the snow kept falling during the afternoon students were also bracing for a cold night. Palser said, “We are going to get our last meal before we get iced in.”
Officials with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) said they have sanding trucks and a few snowplows out along the highways in Denton County.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Miller Baffled By Low Hit From Cowboys WR Brown
- Oklahoma State Faces TCU’s Tough Defense
- NBA First: Every Coach Who Started Last Season Is Back
- Death Wish Coffee Recalled Amid Botulism Concern
- Facebook To Release Russia Ads, Beef Up Election ‘Integrity’
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures