MANSFIELD (CBS 11 NEWS) – From behind a glass window at the Mansfield City Jail, David Hidalgo, 21, confessed to the murder of his friend, 23 year old TCU marketing student Stewart Trese.
“I did. I did kill Stewart but it was self defense,” Hidalgo said. “He was trying to kill me.”
Trese was found dead in the hallway of his apartment near the TCU campus with apparent trauma to his body.
Hidalgo said Trese had invited him to his apartment that day.
“When we got there, he grabbed my behind while I was in the restroom and he tried to kiss me,” Hidalgo said. “I pushed him away and I told him, ‘No!’ and he said, ‘If you don’t give in, I’m going to kill you.'”
Hidalgo said Trese pulled out a knife and the two began to wrestle for it.
After the altercation, Hidalgo was able to pry the knife from Trese’s hand.
“I ended up stabbing him in the chest and throat,” Hidalgo confessed. “It was either him or me. I felt like he put me in that position.”
Hidalgo ran from the scene to his mother’s home, where he told her what happened. Hidalgo had minor wounds from the confrontation. His mother advised him to go to the hospital.
Police showed up a short time later and arrested him.
The Tarrant County Medical examiner said Trese died from multiple stab wounds including one to the neck.
Hidalgo said the two had been friends for more than a year, after they met at church.
“I want to say I’m sorry to Stewart’s parents. I know I can’t make up for what I did,” he said.
Trese’s family did not comment. They had a sign in front of their Fort Worth home that read, “Please respect our privacy. NO media.”
Now Hidalgo, who is a Christian, says he is his family are now praying for forgiveness.
“I don’t know what’s in store for me. Whatever is in God’s will, I will accept,” he said.
Hidalgo is in jail under a $100,000 bond, charged with murder.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Even Without Peyton Manning, Patriots-Broncos Is Game Of The Week
- Jerry Jones Confirms Romo Is Out For The Season: “It’s A Hairline Fracture”
- Man Found Dead After Driving Vehicle Into High Water
- Woman Washed Away From Vehicle In Johnson County
- College Football Week 13 Can’t Miss Games
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures