FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Family members and neighbors were stunned to learn the fate of a mother and her son who were rescued from their burning home Thursday night.
The two died from their injuries Friday in the hospital.
A fire started at their home in the 900 block of West Bolt Street just before 7 p.m. Thursday.
The boy’s father, who family members identified as Flavio Saldivar, was able to escape the blaze but not without severe burns.
“The fire, it started in the front. The windows were breaking,” said neighbor Miguel Anguiano.
Saldivar’s fiancé, who family member’s identified as Karla Guajardo, and their adopted son, Jesus, whom they called “Coco,” were trapped inside the burning home.
Coco was believed to be around 6 years old.
“Me and my dad came out here and were trying to find a way in through the front door, but the fire was in the front. The whole living room was on fire,” Anguiano said. “So we went through to the back and the backdoor had a lock.”
The backdoor was locked from the outside with a Masterlock.
Firefighter’s then arrived and used axes to get into the home. They managed to pull Guajardo and her son, who were found in the home’s bathroom, out of the home.
Saldivar is in critical condition in the burn unit at Parkland Hospital.
Family members say Guajardo and Saldivar were engaged recently and were expecting a child.
The Fort Worth Fire Department said an electrical malfunction sparked the blaze.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Warehouse Collapses After Plastic Containers Catch Fire
- 100 Days In, Trumps Says He’s Brought About ‘Profound Change’
- Cowboys Stick With Draft Plan In Search For Defensive Star
- 5 Dead, Dozens Injured After Tornado Rips Through Canton
- Fort Worth Police Respond To Active Shooting; 1 In Custody
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures