HOUSTON (AP) — Sean Obi had 18 points with 13 rebounds and Marcus Jackson added 13 points and seven assists as Rice defeated North Texas 75-70 Thursday night.
The Owls (7-15, 2-7 Conference USA) shot 46.7 percent from the field, with Austin Ramljak scoring 12 points and Keith Washington contributing 11.
North Texas (11-11, 2-6) was held to 26-of-68 shooting (38.2 percent). Alzee Williams finished with 18 points and Colin Voss had 11 with 10 rebounds.
Rice jumped ahead early as Obi hit a layup and sank a pair of free throws to make it 21-5 seven minutes into the first half. North Texas closed the first half on a 13-4 run, making it 37-31 at the break.
The Mean Green pulled within three late in the second half, but two Obi jumpers and another by Jackson in between helped push Rice’s lead to eight with 46 seconds left.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Goff’s Hamburgers Reopens 2 Years After Fire With Same Employees
- Dallas Leaders Delay Action On Confederate War Memorial
- Fort Worth Man Executed For Killing 2 At Children’s Party
- Dallas Mourns Officer Killed In Line Of Duty
- I-Team: Suspect In Dallas Police Shooting Had Prior Non-Violent Criminal Record
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures