Updated at 3:51 p.m. on Feb. 9
JACKSBORO (CBSDFW.COM) – Natural gas is slowly being restored to Jacksboro residents Saturday after the Texas Gas Service was forced to shutdown supply to the entire city Thursday.
As of 1 p.m. Sunday, over 600 of nearly 1,100 homes without natural gas were restored service.
TGS said it hopes to restore gas to all homes, or at least a majority by tonight.
Gas was reintroduced to some parts of the town Friday night, and workers continued to work Saturday morning to bring more gas back to residents.
Crews are going to door-to-door to restore service, and may ask to enter homes to complete the relight process, according to a statement from spokeswoman Christy Penders.
Those technicians will be wearing clothing clearly marked with TGS logos – or Oklahoma Natural Gas Service logos – and a yellow safety vest.
Extra workers were brought in from across the state in order to help restore gas as quickly as possible, and are expected to work through the night.
Texas Gas Service asked residents with pets to secure them for the safety of it’s technicians, and to leave your porch light off and a note on your door if you prefer to be left alone at night.
CBS 11 is told it is not necessary to request for your service to be restored.
TGS turned off service Thursday after Jacksboro city manager Mike Smith said gas service started repeatedly turning off and on early that morning.
With pilot lights going out, there was a risk for gas buildup inside of structures. TGS notified the city it would have to shut off service completely.
TGS said their natural gas supplier informed them that liquid got into the system from an upstream pipeline.
Thursday afternoon, utility crews were on streets all over the city looking for low spots in the lines where liquid may have settled. They dug up lines so liquid could be vacuumed out before restoring service.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Lighting Sets Three Frisco Homes Ablaze
- STAAR Exam At Center Of Lawsuit Filed By Texas Attorney
- Health Care Confusion Continues in North Texas… Despite New Transparency Law
- Top 5 Tips For A Successful Garage Sale
- Barbecue Joint Receives Death Threats After Offering Rougned Odor Free Food
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures