Rice Recalled Following Sick Schoolchildren Incident
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) - The Texas Department of State Health Services warned the public Sunday of a recall of Uncle Ben’s infused rice products that were distributed in Texas.
The official recall was made on Feb. 7 following an episode of illnesses reported last week among children and school staff in Katy, near Houston.
The children and staff reported burning, itching rashes, headaches and nausea shortly after eating the product at school lunch.
The symptoms passed within 30 to 90 minutes, however.
The recall is focused on large bags of packaged rice, like the kind used in schools, nursing homes, hospital and prisons.
Some products may have also been sold online and to warehouse club retailers.The Uncle Ben’s recall includes these packaged foods produced since Jan. 1, 2013:
- Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Roasted Chicken Flavor (5- and 25-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Garlic and Butter Flavor (5-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Mexican Flavor (5- and 25-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Pilaf (5-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Saffron Flavor (5-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Cheese Flavor (5-pound bags)
– Uncle Ben’s Infused Rice Spanish Flavor (25-pound bags)
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures