STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) – Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart was suspended three games Sunday by the Big 12 for shoving a fan in the closing seconds of the Cowboys’ loss at Texas Tech on Saturday night.
The Big 12 acted swiftly in banning the All-America guard Sunday, saying in a statement the penalty was handed down for “inappropriate conduct with a spectator.”
Smart apologized for his actions before coach Travis Ford expressed support for the sophomore without dismissing the severity of the player’s actions.
“Marcus Smart made a big mistake last night. He knows that,” Ford said. “I know Marcus Smart. Pretty much been around him on a daily basis for two years. Undoubtedly, last night was not one of his finest moments. But he’s had a lot of fine moments as a player and as a person.”
Smart will miss games against Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor. He can return for the Cowboys’ Feb. 22 home game against Texas Tech. But Ford said Smart will be allowed to practice.
Late in Saturday night’s game at Lubbock, Texas, Smart shoved Tech fan Jeff Orr with two hands after it appeared the Red Raiders fan said something to the top NBA prospect. Teammates quickly pulled Smart away as he pointed back in Orr’s direction.
Texas Tech released a statement saying they conducted a thorough investigation. Orr denied making a racial slur and Tech says the evidence backs up Orr’s statement.
Orr, who has traveled to dozens of Tech games a year, has voluntarily agreed to not attend any Red Raiders home or away games for the remainder of the season, according to the statement.
“I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men’s Basketball program,” Orr said in the statement. “My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech — a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a `piece of crap’ but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind.”
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Former Texas Nurse Accused Of Killing Dozens Of Kids In ’80s
- Outside Investigation Launched In Arrest Of Miss Black Texas
- 2 On Texas 10 Most Wanted Sex Offenders List Captured
- Keidel: Bryce Harper And Baseball’s New Salary Narrative
- Manchester Chief Notes Rise In Hate Crimes Since Bombing
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures