Snow & Ice Response Busting City Budgets
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – While the temperatures rise and fall in North Texas this winter, the one thing that has remained constant is the sky-high bill to pay for the state’s storm response.
Snow, ice and sand trucks have been a steady sight in North Texas, especially during December’s winter event dubbed “Icemaggedon,” that closed schools and brought several cities to a halt.
That storm was an expensive part of the $5 million that Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) officials said the state spent on snow and ice response in 2013. The amount is five times what the state spent in 2011 and 2012.
TxDOT spent about $1 million on snow and ice response in both 2011 and 2012.
This year’s cost estimates aren’t available yet, but Ryan Lafontaine, a spokesman with TxDOT, says the state is on pace to equal or surpass 2013’s amount, especially with even more winter weather on the way.
“We could have several districts going around the clock for several days and when you start using all those materials, all that equipment and manpower, that runs up a bill,” Lafontaine said.
The city of Dallas did not have cost estimates of recent storms readily available.
The city Plano spent just under $700,000 on the December 6 ice storm alone, which included debris removal, sanding roads, and emergency measures.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures