Northwest HS Mourns One Student, Prays For Recovery Of Another
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Students at Northwest High School are learning about grief and faith as they cope with the loss of a popular basketball player and pray for the recovery of another one.
The two teens, 16-year-old Shyann Hooper and Brianna Christensen, were involved in a crash Monday evening on FM 156 south of SH 114 in Justin. DPS troopers are investigating whether icy roads caused the crash.
Shyann and Brianna were hit by a pick up truck that lost control and crossed the median near Northwest High School. The two girls who both played on the Lady Texans basketball team, were on their way home from track tryouts.
Shyann’s family says she loved her teammates and dreamed about going to Baylor to be a nurse.
“I would always tell her she was my favorite niece and she would go stick her hip out and go, ‘Uncle Grant I’m your only niece,’” remembers Grant Bowles.
“It’s tragic to lose her,” he added.
Northwest ISD is closed today because of icy conditions, but students are uniting on social media to support their classmates. They created the hashtags #smilelikeShyann and #prayforBrianna on Twitter.
Shyann’s childhood friend, Marley Floyd, is trying to cope with her best friend’s death.
“It just still doesn’t feel real, like I feel like I’m going to see her again….hurts just thinking about the memories when I see the pictures.”
As family and friends remember Shyann, they pray for Brianna, who had surgery Tuesday to relieve pressure on her brain and remains in ICU.
The driver who hit the teens was also taken to the hospital and has been released.
The Lady Texans basketball coach released a statement through the district, saying the team is praying for Brianna and deeply saddened by this loss of Shyann, a beloved member of the team.
Because Northwest ISD is closed today, the district has set up a counseling hotline for students. Extra counselors will also be on campus Wednesday to help students through the grieving process, and some students will start the day with a prayer circle at the school.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 24-Hour Manhunt Ends After Truck Slams Into Police Cruiser
- 2 Armstrong Associates Settle Lawsuit With Landis
- Cowboys Injury Report: DeMarco Murray Questionable With Broken Hand
- Patients Return To Dallas Hospital Where Ebola Hit
- Musicians + Sports: Darius Rucker Lives for Football: See His Pregame Soundtrack
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures