HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Prosecutors say two teenage boys were making a deal with the devil when they sexually assaulted then killed a 15-year-old Texas girl.
Harris County prosecutor John Jordan said Tuesday that 17-year-old Jose E. Reyes told a 16-year-old friend that he had sold his soul to the devil. Reyes told the 16-year-old that he, too, could sell his soul if they killed Corriann Cervantes, a teen from the Houston-area.
After disappearing three days earlier, the girl’s body was found Saturday, February 8, in a vacant apartment. Jordan says signs of the occult were found in the apartment and an upside down crucifix carved into Cervantes’ stomach. The younger teen knew the girl through school.
Each boy is charged with capital murder. Reyes is being held without bond at the Harris County jail. While Reyes is being charged as an adult his accused crime isn’t eligible for the death sentence because of his age.
The 16-year-old is being held at a juvenile detention facility.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Downtown Dallas Restaurants Show Police Appreciation With Free Food
- Facebook Fashion Fail: Deceptive Ads On Feeds Not Worth It
- Forget Romance: Many Trying To Catch Partners Cheating On Valentine’s Day
- Family Forced Out After Gas Explosion In Their Lakewood Home
- Plano Parents Question School-Related Stress After Recent Suicides
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures