East Coast Storms Halting Flights In DFW
Get Breaking News First
GRAPEVINE (CBSDFW.COM) - A massive winter storm is battering several East Coast states on Thursday. The nation’s capital is buried under more than a foot of snow, hundreds of thousands of people are without power, and the storm is having a ripple effect on flights in North Texas.
A quick look at the big board at DFW International Airport shows that most flights are leaving on time. However, travelers heading to the big eastern cities will notice that their flights have been canceled.
Air traffic the the East Coast is almost at a standstill. More than 5,000 flights are canceled so far on Thursday, and more than 10,000 flights have been canceled over the past two days. That number will only climb as the week continues. The storm is not expected to let up until Friday.
Almost all flights out of Atlanta were canceled on Wednesday and roughly a third of Thursday’s flights have been canceled. That is the nation’s busiest airport. Major airports in New York and New Jersey are also reporting that about a third of their flights are canceled.
A businessman from Germany was at DFW International Airport for the second straight day on Thursday. He was attempting to get a flight to New York after a day of trying to get to an iced-over Charlotte for meetings. “All the flights to the East Coast canceled, so I got myself one of the last rooms at the Hyatt,” said traveler Thomas Kaminsky. “Quite a convenience getting stuck.”
With such a huge swath of the East Coast under the grip of winter storms, nearly every airport in the nation is feeling the ripple effect.
- “How Not To Fumble” With Babe & Karen
- Mansfield Teacher Dies Days After Indecency Allegations
- Parents Upset Teachers Switching Campuses 4 Weeks Into School Year
- Hospital Begins Testing Texas Babies For TB After Worker Diagnosed
- Research: 10% Of All Food Mislabeled, Diluted, Or Misrepresented
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures