Frisco Principal Resigns Amid Theft Charges
FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) - A Frisco elementary school principal resigned this week after Frisco Police charged him with theft on school campus.
David Wehmeyer served as principal of Weldon Corbell Elementary School since it opened in 2006.
Last week, Corbell’s school nurse became suspicious after she noticed one child’s medicine was running low and contacted their mother, according to the police report. The report also says school surveillance video shows the principal came in on a Saturday and went into the nurse’s office. Police say Wehmeyer admitted to taking the medicine and two $20 bills out of the school secretary’s office.
Parents say they are surprised by the news.
“Every morning, he was always there, in front of the door and he was so helpful with everyone, so that’s why I’m really in shock. I had no idea that was the motive for him to resign, it’s really heartbreaking,” said parent Dary Douglas.
Another parent, Giulio Ferarri said, “It’s of course sad, but you know, we’re not exempt from having things like that happen just because we live in Frisco. We have to be mature enough to understand that things can happen anywhere you go.”
Wehmeyer resigned from Frisco ISD for personal reasons. Before taking a position in Frisco, Wehmeyer worked as an Irving ISD principal for 12 years and authored a children’s book.
Frisco ISD sent a statement to parents, which says in part, “We take these matters very seriously and are saddened by these events. We do believe that Mr. Wehmeyer’s resignation was in the best interest of all involved and our focus is now on supporting the school in their efforts to meet the needs of students and to have a successful school year.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Further Proof That A ‘Romo Curse’ Doesn’t Exist
- RadioShack Creditor Won’t Offer New Bid
- Five Things: Cats Enter Final Four With Eight Lives
- Three No. 1 Seeds In Final Four
- “Home” Bests “Get Hard” At Box Office
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures