COLLIN COUNTY (CBS 11 NEWS) – Parents knew Corbell Elementary School principal David Wehmeyer suddenly resigned, but were surprised to find out why.
Giulio Ferrari, whose son is in kindergarten here said, “We’re saddened by it.”
According to the Frisco Independent School District, Wehmeyer quit after police alleged that he admitted to stealing some student medication from the nurse’s office.
Police issued Wehmeyer two theft for less than $50 citations, both class “c” misdemeanors.
A police report said the nurse became suspicious that medication was being stolen last month after she noticed one child’s medicine was running low, and contacted the mother.
The report doesn’t name the medication.
Police say school surveillance video shows the principal came in on Saturday, February 1 and went into the nurse’s office. In addition, police claim Wehmeyer admitted he took two $20 bills out of the school secretary’s office.
Wehmeyer wrote a children’s book, which some parents say makes the news all the more surprising.
Dary Douglas, whose daughter attends pre-K at Corbell said, “Every morning, he was always there, in front of the door and he was so helpful with everyone, so that’s why I’m really in shock. I had no idea that was the motive for him to resign, it’s really heartbreaking.”
Ferrari said people shouldn’t live in a bubble. “It’s of course sad, by you know we’re not exempt from having things like that happen just because we live in Frisco. We have to be mature enough to understand that things can happen anywhere you go.”
CBS 11 News called and left a message at Wehmeyer’s home in Carrollton, but he hasn’t returned the call.
Investigators said he was cooperative.
A spokeswoman for Frisco ISD said the district is taking the matters very seriously, is saddened by what happened, and believes Wehmeyer’s resignation was in the best interest of all involved.
The mother of the student whose medication was contacted and also didn’t return the call.
Follow Jack on Twitter: @cbs11jack
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Championship Picks: Who’s Moving On To Super Bowl LII?
- Survey: Texas, U.S. Retail Gasoline Prices Up This Week
- Aziz Ansari Story Has Some Wondering If #MeToo Has Gone Too Far
- Dallas, Austin Still On Amazon’s List For New Headquarters
- Bull’s Dunn Goes Face-First Into Floor After Dunk
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures