PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – One month ago, 2-year-old Grace Ford was killed following a violent attack in a Plano apartment. Grace’s mother, Emily Ward opened up exclusively to CBS 11 News about how she’s working to keep her child’s legacy alive.
“I’m haunted by the way my daughter was taken and it just tears me apart sometimes,” said Ward, as she watched children play in the park her daughter loved. She has taken solace in donating Grace’s organs before she passed away. “She gave life to four other people. I can’t do that — you can’t do that — but she did,” said Ward.
Police have arrested and charged Melinda Muniz with Capital Murder for the toddler’s death. Muniz is Ward’s ex-husbands fiancé, a woman who is manipulative and trying to refute a reported confession to the crime, according to Ward.
“She keeps going back and forth on ‘having amnesia’ to trying to rebuke her confession and I’m hoping people can see through it,” said Ward.
Ward is not only focused now on seeking justice but also on what she is calling The Amazing Grace Project. It’s a non-profit, which will offer private investigators to families who suspect their children are being abused.
“Our primary purpose is to be an (alternate) to Child Protective Services,” said Ward.
Ward said she noticed bruises on her daughter and wishes she had done more to find out what her child was too young to tell her.
“When I was in the hospital watching my baby die, God just put it in my heart that I need to do something to protect other children.”
Ward has organized a public memorial at her daughters grave site in Fairview on February 23, the day before what would have been her third birthday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Police Warning About Latest Package Scam
- Big Changes In Security At Argyle ISD In 5 Years Since Sandy Hook Massacre
- Worker Killed In Possible Trench Collapse Outside Home In Flower Mound
- Sooners RB Anderson Will Not Be Charged
- WWE Insiders Pick Clash Of Champions 2017
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures