Stars’ Jamie Benn Scores As Canada Tops Norway 3-1
Dallas Stars CentralShop for Dallas Stars Gear
Buy Dallas Stars Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
SOCHI (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Jamie Benn has proven he can score in the NHL. Now he’s doing it on the world’s biggest stage.
In his first Olympic game, Benn scored in the second period on Thursday to help Canada shake off a sluggish start, propelling the defending Olympic champions to a 3-1 win over Norway.
The All-Star forward, who agreed to five-year contract with Dallas last year, has scored 22 goals and tallied 29 assists this season with the Stars.
Shea Weber also scored in the second period for Canada.
Patrick Thoresen redirected a shot in front of the net to pull the Norwegians within a score on a power play 22 seconds into the third. Drew Doughty restored the two-goal lead 1:25 later in the period.
Canada’s Carey Price made 19 saves in his Olympic debut. The star-studded team likely will not be tested until facing Finland on Sunday in the third game of the round-robin preliminary round.
Lars Haugen made 35 saves for the Norwegians.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- LB McClain Added To List Of Cowboys Inactives VS Rams
- Former Titans Kicker Rob Bironas Killed In Accident
- Cowboys Player Profile: Dez Bryant
- NFL Week 3 Preview: Dallas vs St.Louis
- North Texas Dominates Nicholls 77-3
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures