East Dallas Neighborhood Remembers Beloved Crash Victim
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An East Dallas neighborhood is mourning the death of popular business owner and devout family man.
Jesus Rivas was killed on Friday around noon when a dump truck crossed the median on I-635 in Balch Springs, hitting Rivas’ pickup truck head on.
The driver of the dump truck was also killed in the accident.
The news spread quickly in the East Dallas neighborhood, where Rivas was the owner of Del Norte Bakery — a place people describe as one where “everybody knows your name.”
“He was like a father figure,” said Karla Flores and Angelica Saldana, both employees at the bakery. The ladies say that Rivas was always trying to brighten their days.
And what makes it more difficult is the fact that Rivas had just celebrated a birthday this week.
Employees at the Bakery say Rivas was a beloved man in this community because of the popularity he had in this neighborhood
“He was a sweet man. He worked hard. He worked all the time,” said one neighbor.
It’s that memory that those who are left mourning his death say should live on.
The Dallas County Sheriff’s Department has now taken over the investigation to determine what caused the fatal crash.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cuba, US Begin 5-Game Exhibition Baseball Series
- Rangers Trade Closer Soria For Pair Of Pitching Prospects
- Mavs Sign F Aminu To Two-Year Deal
- Tony Romo A “Full-Go” For Training Camp
- Staubach And Pearson Mourn Loss Of Robert Newhouse
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures