DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — A 49-year-old man in Dallas has been diagnosed with the measles.
The man recently flew into Dallas and checked into a local hospital’s emergency room, according to Dallas County Health and Human Services.
The department is now investigating where he contracted the virus and to whom, if anyone, he gave it.
Director Zach Thompson said investigators will look at the patient’s travel history to see if he’s been in California or other areas where outbreaks have been reported.
They’ve also obtained a list of all passengers aboard his flight to Dallas. The department is in the process of contacting those passengers to see if they are exhibiting symptoms of the measles.
Investigators are also working to identify patients and staff who were in the emergency room at the same time as the patient.
The department is not naming the airline or hospital involved, citing patient confidentiality.
Thompson said he is confident the case has been contained, but the department will take steps to make certain due to the nature of the virus.
“Measles is highly contagious and it’s airborne, so even in the distance that you and I are talking, if we had the measles, I could pass it on to you or you could pass it on to me. That’s how highly contagious it is,” said Thompson.
Thompson said the easiest way to avoid getting the measles is to make sure you’re vaccinated.
Symptoms include excessive coughing, fever, red eyes, a sore throat, and eventually a blotchy skin rash.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Jayhawks Meets Purdue In NCAA Tournament Regional Semifinal
- Hippos Are Back In Dallas!
- Apartment Residents In Bedford Wake Up To Vandalism
- Texas Judge Sued To Halt Courtroom Prayers By Chaplains
- Retail Gasoline Prices Across Texas Up 2 Cents This Week
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures