RICHARDSON (CBSDFW.COM) – A student was arrested on Thursday at the Lake Highlands Freshman Center in the Richardson Independent School District after the child was found to be carrying a gun on campus. The district sent a letter out to parents to notify them of the incident.
According to school district spokeswoman Candace Ahlfinger, a teacher first noticed the student acting strangely before classes began on Thursday morning. The firearm was then found in the freshman’s backpack. The school’s student resource officer was made aware of the situation and the child was taken into custody.
The child will now face both legal consequences and disciplinary action from the school district.
“There is no indication of any threat or intent to harm any student or staff member,” said Principal Bill Gallo in the letter sent home to parents. “We are proud of the way the incident was handled.”
Gallo also urged parents to talk with kids about what happened and how the situation was resolved. “Please use this as an opportunity to visit with your student about the continued importance of reporting any suspicious activity or rumors to our school resource officer or staff member,” Gallo said.
- Obama Administration Commutes Dallas Man’s Prison Sentence
- Rescue Crews Risked Their Lives In Palestine
- Armed Robber Steals $100K From Bank In Fort Worth
- Welcome To Texas: Texas Country Reporter
- Officer’s Rape Conviction Set Aside After Accuser Admits Lie
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures