DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Just a week after entering the AP Top 25 for the first time since 1985, SMU men’s basketball is back where it began — on the outside looking in.
The No. 23 Mustangs lost to American Athletic Conference opponent Temple on Sunday, 71-64.
The loss follows a 77-65 win over Rutgers on Friday, a game initially scheduled for Thursday night that was postponed due to a snowstorm in the Northeast. SMU was then forced to play at Temple less than 48 hours later.
With the loss, the team moved to 20-6 overall, with all six losses coming away from home.
“We didn’t stay at the Ritz on the Four Seasons. We’ve been on the road six days, and I think we have $41,” Brown joked after the game. “But I don’t want to use that as an excuse.”
SMU, currently third in the AAC with a 9-4 record, returns home to play Houston on Wednesday before traveling to Connecticut for Sunday’s game.
Full AP Standings (2/17/14)
1. Syracuse (64)
2. Florida (1)
3. Wichita St.
6. San Diego St.
10. Saint Louis
13. Michigan St.
17. Iowa St.
24. Ohio St.
Others receiving votes: North Carolina 54, Arizona St. 45, Pittsburgh 21, SMU 21, Stephen F. Austin 8, Oklahoma 7, New Mexico 3, VCU 2, Green Bay 1, Kansas St. 1, Louisiana Tech 1.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Silvers Lifts Troy Over UNT, 50-30, In New Orleans Bowl
- Ex-Wife Of Lorenzen Wright Charged With Murder In 2010 Death
- Former Arlington Lamar Football Coach Eddy Peach Passes Away At 76
- AP Source: Giants Agree To Trade Matt Moore To Rangers
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: Can Cowboys Win A Must-Win?
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures