LOUISVILLE, Ky. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A former Fort Campbell soldier convicted of raping and killing a teenage Iraqi girl and using a shotgun to kill her family has died in prison in Arizona.
Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesman John Stahley says the death of 28-year-old Steven Dale Green of Midland on Saturday morning is being investigated as a suicide.
Green was a private in the 101st Airborne Division based at Fort Campbell on the Kentucky-Tennessee state line when he deployed to Iraq.
Green and three other soldiers went to the home in Mahmoudiya, Iraq, in March 2006. Green killed three members of the al-Janabi family before becoming the third soldier to rape 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi. Green then shot her.
The other soldiers are serving sentences in the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Historic Ruins Destroyed In A West Texas Ghost Town
- Texas Mom Finds Pill In Son’s Gerber Snack Pack
- Cleaner Streets Coming To Fort Worth
- Stars Trade Defenseman Jordie Benn To Montreal
- Lawmaker Asks Texas Rangers To Investigate Baylor Scandal
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures