Fort Hood Tears Down Site Of 2009 Massacre
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS, Texas (AP) – Fort Hood has razed the building where an Army psychiatrist carried out a shooting rampage that left 13 people dead and more than 30 wounded.
Officials at the Central Texas Army post said Tuesday that Building 42003 has been torn down.
The building was part of a processing center for soldiers deploying and returning from combat. On Nov. 5, 2009, it was where then-Maj. Nidal Hasan carried two weapons inside, shouted “Allahu Akbar!” and opened fire. Hasan walked through the building, targeting anyone in a green Army uniform.
Hasan was convicted of charges in the massacre last year and sentenced to death.
The building had been sealed off for nearly four years.
Post officials say it will be replaced with trees, a gazebo and a plaque remembering the massacre.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fort Worth Man Shot After Struggling With Intruder
- Lindsay Lohan Says She Had Miscarriage
- “Captain America” Tops Box Office For 3rd Week
- Stars Don’t Feel Like It’s 0-2 With Ducks
- Pujols Powers Toward 500th Homer
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures