Rocker Ted Nugent Causes A Ruckus In Denton
Get Breaking News First
DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) - Rocker Ted Nugent struck a chord with a crowd in Denton, as he helped Republican frontrunner for Governor, Greg Abbott, get out the vote.
“Everything the liberal Democrats get their hands on, they destroy everything,” said Nugent. “We don’t have to question Greg Abbott’s courage because he invited me here today,”
In the past, Nugent has sharply criticized President Obama, said illegal immigrants should be treated like indentured servants, and called feminists “fat pigs” during an interview.
But his appearance Tuesday drew fire from Democratic frontrunner for Governor, Wendy Davis, who said, “Greg Abbott’s embrace of Ted Nugent and his ideas is an insult to every woman in Texas and it should be an insult to every man, every husband, brother, father and son in Texas.”
The Abbott campaign tried to keep reporters from asking Nugent questions, but he did respond to Senator Davis’ attempt to make him a campaign issue.
“She ought to because she hasn’t gotten anything meaningful to campaign on, so she’s got to be Pelosi’s attack dog,” said Nugent.
Abbott thanked Nugent during his speech for acting as a “fighter for freedom in this country.”
Abbott said Davis is using Nugent as a distraction from the true issues, such as gun rights and abortion. “In this area and so many other areas, she represents the liberalism of Barack Obama that is so bad for Texas.”
Davis said Abbott and Nugent are “not aligned with everyday Texans.”
Veteran campaign manager John Weekley said the publicity surrounding Nugent helps Davis, but certainly doesn’t hurt Abbott.
“If he were doing that in a general election, I would say that could hurt him, but in a primary, I can’t say that does much,” said Weekley.
After the March 4 primary, the Governor’s race will heat up even more. Analysts said this is a race the national media is already watching closely.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Homeowners Stalled From Installing Solar Power
- 2 North Texas UPS Locations Among Those Breached By Malware
- DPD Inadvertently Posts Phone Numbers Of Crime Victims
- SeaWorld Drops Appeal Of OSHA Violation
- Police Chief David Brown To Spend $1M+ On Body Cams
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures