MISSION (AP) – Less than a month after the U.S. Homeland Security secretary visited the busiest sector on the Southwest border, his second-in-command will do the same.
Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas is to tour border security operations and make a public appearance Wednesday at the Anzalduas International Bridge in Mission. Department Secretary Jeh Johnson appeared at the same bridge on Jan. 21.
The Border Patrol’s Rio Grande Valley sector, which encompasses the southernmost tip of Texas, has become the busiest segment of the Southwest border for illegal immigration. Growth has largely been driven by Central American immigrants entering the U.S. illegally in South Texas.
On Tuesday, Mayorkas visited Laredo to tout the nearly $62 million in the 2014 budget to expand and modernize two ports of entry there.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rowlett Evacuations & Road Closures After World War II Bomb Found
- Keidel: Should The Giants Pick Saquon Barkley?
- Man Pulled From Burning Tank At Chemical Plant In Ennis
- Police Find, Arrest Nashville Waffle House Shooting Suspect
- Texas Transportation Department To Waive $1.3B In Late Fees
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures