DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A man was hospitalized early Wednesday morning after being shot by a Dallas police officer following a confrontation near a home in southeast Dallas. The incident took place a little bit before 2:00 a.m. close to the intersection of Petain Avenue and Elmira Street.
Sr. Cpl. John Casey was working undercover when he was approached by two men, one of them holding a gun. “Casey was approached by the two suspects. The armed suspect, he saw the person that was armed,” explained Deputy Chief Gilberto Garza. Details about the incident are still being investigated, but the officer ended up shooting the armed man. The second suspect fled.
That is when SWAT officers moved in and surrounded the home. The second suspect was later found hiding in another house located on nearby Lovett Avenue. At least five individuals — three of them women — were also detained for questioning as possible witnesses, but they were not arrested.
Neighbors said that a police helicopter was over the area in the moments just before the shooting, and that it looked like the man who was shot was being targeted for arrest by the Dallas Police Department. Witnesses also reported hearing a series of five gunshots, and then a sixth and final gunshot.
Police say a gun was recovered nearby.
Residents in this neighborhood said that they hear gunshots often. “I just think it’s crazy that people who move into the neighborhood cause trouble and everything,” said homeowner R.B. Biggerstaff. The residents are hoping that this incident will make police finally do something about the frequent gunfire.
Details about the Casey’s undercover work were not released. It is not known if his case somehow pertained to the man who was shot.
The injured man was taken to Baylor Medical Center at Dallas. His condition is not yet known and his name has not been released. No police officers were hurt during this incident. Authorities recovered the weapon believed to belong to the shot suspect.
- 4 Dallas Firefighters Treated For Fumes From Pool Chemicals
- Dolphins Intensify Zika-Control Treatments At Sun Life Stadium
- Medical Examiner Confirms Body Found In River To Be Missing SMU Officer
- Auto & Tech Industries Clash Over Talking Cars
- Sigma Nu Suspends Texas A&M Chapter After Drug Death
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures