Ron Washington Reveals Rangers Opening Day Lineup
SURPRISE, Ariz (CBSDFW.COM) – It’s just the first day of spring training for the Texas Rangers, and manager Ron Washington has already set his Opening Day lineup for 2014.
Newly signed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo will lead-off, as expected.
Choo will be followed in the lineup by Elvis Andrus, Prince Fielder, Adrian Beltre, Alex Rios, Mitch Moreland, Geovany Soto, Jurickson Profar, and Leonys Martin.
While Fielder has served as protection for MVPs Ryan Braun and Miguel Cabrera in his previous stops, Washington is adamant that Fielder will instead be protected by batting third.
“I’m set in stone with that,” said Washington in Surprise. “You can write what you want but… It is locked in. It is locked in.”
Washington is also adamant that his All-Star third baseman Adrian Beltre will remain in the cleanup spot.
Mitch Moreland, who is expected to be the team’s primary designated hitter, will remain in the everyday lineup, according to Wash.
A little clarity was also provided at catcher, where Soto will receive the majority of starts. Newly signed J.P. Arencibia is expected to start once or twice per week, according to Washington.
Second baseman Jurickson Profar, who has been limited by shoulder tendinitis, will bat eighth, followed by second-year center fielder Leonys Martin.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Former Fort Worth Police Chief Ties To Taser Questioned
- Russell Wilson Will Be In Rangers Camp March 28
- Habitat For Humanity House Goes Up In Sundance Square
- Prevention v. Punitive: Addressing DISD’s Discipline Gap
- No Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Most North Texas Schools
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures