NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 Sports) – Jennifer Welter is a doctor, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, and is now the first woman to be on the season opening roster of a men’s professional football team.
Wednesday Welter made made the cut, and will be on the roster for the Texas Revolution of the Indoor Football League. The 36-year-old women’s pro football veteran signed with the Revolution last week.
Welter became the first woman to play running back in a men’s pro football league game last Saturday, during the Revolutions 64 to 30 victory over the North Texas Crunch. Welter carried the ball three times on goal-line situations, but was not able to find the end-zone.
The Revolution will open their season Friday night at the Allen Events Center, hosting the Cedar Rapids Titans. Welter, an Addison resident, is part Texas Revolution 20 man roster and is expected to suit up for the season opener.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arlington Police Adding Body Cams
- Deep Ellum Bands Together to Keep Area Safe And Thriving
- Beltre Blast In 9th Beats Indians
- Billy Bob’s Texas Lawsuit Pits Father Against Son Over Ownership
- Worker Electrocuted Cleaning Hot Tub At Fort Worth Apartment Complex
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures