PARKER COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – An off-duty police officer from the Henderson County town of Malakoff has been indicted on criminal charges.
Officer Ernesto Fierro turned himself in at the Parker County Jail just after 5 p.m. Thursday afternoon. He was officially charged with one count of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, one count of Official Oppression, and three counts of Reckless Driving. Fierro was released on $85,000 bond less than 35 minutes after arriving at the jail.
A reckless driving investigation began when driver Bill Livezey died in December after calling 911. Witnesses told authorities Fierro, who was riding his personal motorcycle, was trying to run Livezey off the road.
According to officials, Livezey was in handcuffs and complaining about not feeling well when sheriff’s deputies arrived. Paramedics took the 70-year-old father to a hospital, where he died.
Records obtained by the CBS-11 I-Team detail that before working in Malakoff, Fierro had trouble while an officer with the Dallas Police Department. Records show he was fired in May 2001 for conduct discrediting the department. But he was re-instated in October of that year after appealing, and instead, was suspended for 20 days.
Fierro left DPD and went to work as an investigator with the Dallas County DA’s office, before finally landing in Malakoff.
Livezey’s children have now hired attorney Greg Price, of Sulphur Springs, to investigate whether their father’s federal civil rights or state laws were violated.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Former Texas Longhorn, Atlanta Falcons Great Tommy Nobis Dies
- TCU Frat Suspended For Hazing
- GOP Challenger To N. Texas Congressman Backed Roy Moore’s Alabama Senate Campaign
- City Auditor Tells Dallas Fire-Rescue ‘Significant’ Improvement Needed
- McCarthy: Packers’ Rodgers Preparing To Play This Weekend
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures